Monday 2 July 2012

Dunwich Dynamo 2012


Back in 2009 I did the Dunwich Dynamo for the first time then did it again in 2010.  It's a 120 mile ride, through the night, from Hackney in east London to the Suffolk coast.


I've done the "Dun Run" 3 times now and this was definitely my favourite. My first was at a very steady pace and was enjoyable but hard work, my aim was just to get there.
Three years ago I had wanted to break all known land-speed records getting there, but I left my legs at Needham Lakes after an overly-long rest stop.
This time I was keen to do as well as possible; the loose plan was to take it steady out of London and then press on after that, with minimal stops and aiming for an 18mph average speed.  Also I was travelling light this time around, no bags or excess kit, all I was carrying was;
  • a couple of bottles of energy drink and a GPS fitted to the bike
  • a spare inner-tube and multitool in my saddle-bag
  • 4 energy bars, 4 energy gels, some Haribo jelly strawberries, a tiny waterproof jacket and my phone in my jersey pockets.

After the usual banter and bike-ogling in the park I set of with my mate Steve at 20:15.
  • As we left the traffic lights, junctions and overcrowded roads of London we were averaging about 13mph.
  • We'd only been on the road 20mins when Steve asked me for the direction sheet, which I no longer seemed to have.  D'oh...  Never mind, there's usually plenty of people around to follow and we roughly know the route anyway.
  • We got to the Sible Hedingham feed stop at about 23:20 (approx 50miles) and there were only 20 or 30 other people there at that time.  Previously when we've got there it's been heaving with people and bikes - attempting to buy food there has been near impossible.
  • We spent 20-30mins having a quick caffeine, flapjack and banana refuel.

The stretch from Sudbury to Needham was my favourite, we were in a pack of about 10-15 people and combined with the strong tail-wind we were, seemingly effortlessly, flying along!  It was along here that I started to notice an ominous rattle but chose to ignore it...

We reached the rest stop in Gosbeck at around 01:30 (approx 90miles) and had another 20-30min break, opting for coffee, mars bars and bacon buttys for fuel this time.  At this point the GPS showed that we were averaging our target of 18mph!
As I jumped back on the bike the rattle was very noticeable and I spotted that a spoke in my back wheel had snapped at the rim!  On closer inspection I spotted that the one next to it had gone at the hub as well!  Due to travelling light I'd not packed a spoke key, any spare spokes or a truing stand (ho ho) so opted to snip them off with some borrowed wire cutters!


I wasn't happy to keep riding at the same pace in case any more spokes snapped or the wheel buckled beyond a ridable level so we dialled it back a little. The remaining 20-30 miles were frustrating as we were both still feeling fit but, as I was planning on biking back to Ipswich too, I definitely wanted the wheel to survive.

The wheel developed a slight but noticable buckle around the Bruisyard/Peasenhall area but it wasn't bad enough to make it unridable.

We reached Dunwich around 3:30, managing to not only beat the sunrise but also the staff at the cafe too!  Our final stats were, 7hrs 19mins total time, 6hrs 21mins riding time and a 17.5mph average speed (route and stats are here).  I'd estimate that the wheel cost us 10-20mins.

There were probably 40 people milling around the car park (rather than the 100-200 when I usually get there) but only 10 or so in the queue for the cafe so we joined the queue and waited for it to open at 4am; it's just as well that we had backed off the pace a bit as we'd have been waiting even longer otherwise ;)



Due to the dodgy wheel I wasn't sure whether to bike back or not, as I had the option of a lift if I waited around. I decided to chance it, working on the theory that my lift would probably be willing to do a detour if the worst happened

One full English breakfast later I slackened off my rear brake to stop the buckled rim from rubbing against the blocks and at 04:30 we started the 30 miles back to Ipswich.  It took just over 2 hours to get back (14.6mph average) where I found my garden gate bolted from the inside meaning that I couldn't get in...

All in all, I really enjoyed the event and am very pleased with the result despite the frustration of the wheel, but I think next time needs to be a leisurely attempt, making the most of the various pub and burger stops along the way :)

No comments:

Post a Comment